21 november 2010

~Poem

hughes_ohwhatisthatinthehollow.
I want to learn the names of this place
I want to hear the name–song
Present in every step
.

I want to see the land through this stone
I want to see with true–sight
Underneath my eyelids

Can you speak me the curves of that hill?
.
The colours of that breeze?
Everything between the spectrum?

Can you paint me the songs in that flame?
The hidden water lines?
Everything heard and felt?
.

The land can teach these placenames
Sing the songs
Paint the pictures
Write the poems
The land can speak
And I can listen.
.

by Oliver Hunter
Art by Edward Robert Hughes, circa 1895

1 opmerking:

Mr. Joyce zei

Wonderful. I love the poem, and the illustration that goes with it. I wonder, have you read Mary Oliver? This is very similar in subject and tone to her poetry.